New to hatching.... questions?

Ashrhod710

Chirping
Aug 19, 2020
East Texas
So I attempted a hatch about 6 months ago with an incubator a friend gave me and only had one egg survive to hatch and it needed assistance. ( shrink wrapped. Somehow my humidity didn’t hold during lockdown) I’ve since bought a small incubator that only holds 12 eggs. A couple of questions....
So far five have hatched, 3 more have pipped that I can see through the top, and three of them didn’t seem to be developed like the rest when I candles right before lockdown. ( looks like one wasn’t fertilized, and two just stopped developing but wasn’t sure because they were blue shells and almost impossible to see through. I numbered all eggs on track to hatch and put question marks on ones that didn’t seem to be developed) I locked it down and had one hatch early this morning with four more to follow. My questions are this.
1. It’s kind of cramped in there and the five hatched are running and tripping over the other eggs, knocking them around, rolling them, just basic anarchy at this point. Most have pipped so I don’t WANT to open the top and remove the babes, will it be safe to continue to let them use their siblings as climbing toys?
And 2. When the first one hatched, it basically went nuts and the top half of its shell got wedged onto the end of another egg. I can’t visibly see a pip mark, is it safe to leave this egg alone? It’s a viable one, but I’m concerned if it will have to pop through two shells of its pipped when the other shell is on top? If I need to remove the shell, how do I do this without compromising the others waiting to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom