1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GA2J, Dec 29, 2016.

1. GA2J

GA2J New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Hi my name is Ghisnene, I'm from South Africa and hatching for the first time with my homemade incubator. I bought 14 eggs from a local farmer and is on day 7 today and happy to report that 10 of them are growing beautifully! One I already thrown out - it had a clear bloodring and 3 others looks like nothings is happening. So I am very excited! I do have a question about 1 of the growers though. It had a little crack from the beginning which I covered with candle wax, but when I candled the eggs for the 1st time 3 days ago I saw that the air cell was on the side of the pointy side of the egg (exactly where the crack is). The air cell is fixed and not moving. While the other chicks are developing very close to the air cell, this one is developing a bit further from the cell - more to the blunt side of the egg. The egg is developing beautifully and the chick is very active, but I'm a bit worried. I don't know how the handle this one. Any tip? At this stage I incubate all the eggs in egg cartons with ventilations holes at the bottom and sides and they are at a 45 degree angle with the pointy sides down. In this egg's case it means that the air cell is at the bottom. I've attached a foto of the egg. Sorry for the poor quality but I've marked the air cell with pencil. It is taken from the side of the egg - hope you can see the air cell on the side of the pointy part and the chick more towards the blunt part of the egg. Any advice would be very much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Hi Ghisnene

Sorry no one has answered your post yet. I think it's because most of us don't know what to do with an egg like yours other than let nature take it's course. I can see very plainly what you are talking about. I have had chicks hatch from the pointed end of the egg but the air cell was where the chick was developing. I would just leave the egg in the proper position and hope the air cell eventually moves up where it is supposed to be. Check the egg in a few days and see if there is any improvement.

By the way WELCOME TO BYC!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I have experienced this before as well; however, mine was with a turkey egg. This is often cause by jarring the eggs before incubation, but does not always cause the chick to die. The only thing that you have to worry about is if the chick get malpositioned before hatching. Mine was able to hatch on its own, but if you suspect that he will have trouble hatching after(if) he pips, you may need to help him out.

4. GA2J

GA2J New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Thank you so much for the replies. I've been watching this one closely and I don't think the air cell is going to move ... it's fixed. The chick and aircell is growing so all I can do is hope for the best. Thanks again, feel much better now that I had a replie or two. :D

5. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I've been studying your picture again. The egg doesn't seem to be real pointed at the end and just might have enough room for the chick to develop at the end where the air cell is. I'm wondering about turning the egg where the air cell is on top and giving the chick a chance. The fetus may be able to move even if the air cell won't. I'm hoping others may have an opinion about this. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. GA2J

GA2J New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    I've been wondering the same thing. Here is a pic of the egg in day light so you can see the shape better. I'm also contemplating putting this one flat (how it would lay in a hen's nest). What do you think? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  7. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    As long as you are able to turn the egg pretty often, I would say go for it. It couldn't hurt. Just keep in mind that he may need help in the end.

8. Nyla

Nyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Griffith, Indiana
    How did you make your incubator if I may ask! Would love to know!

9. GA2J

GA2J New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Hi Nyla, I just took an old cooler box, drill in some ventelation holes (about 5) and installed a computer fan, thermostat (I bought one for a Jacuzi) and 40 W (depending on the size of your cooler box) lamp for heat. Connected them together (except the fan, its seperately powered) and it is working fine. Had to test it for about 3 days to get the temp right. Also bought a hygro/thermometer to measure the humidity and temperature. There are plenty of links on youtube to help with this ... especially the wiring. One thing I would definitely do differently" I'll install 2 lamps - just for in case one stops working. Hope this helps

10. Nyla

Nyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Griffith, Indiana
    Thank you so much!
    Planning on trying it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by