1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to having broodies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akaruby, Dec 16, 2015.

1. akaruby

akaruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Southern Tier, NY
    Hi all, so my two serama hens have decided to go broody and are sharing a nest box. I have some eggs due to hatch today or tomorrow and I've read I can give some chicks to broody hens at night to raise. What would you suggest? Should I try these new chicks or some fertile eggs?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My best way of seeing if a broody wants the chicks I have is to add the broody to the chicks, they will immediately go into mothering mode and try to get them under her, those who aren't interested will peck at the chicks. So I would first see if either or both wants them, just because they hatch the eggs doesn't mean they will always take to being a good mother.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How long have they been sitting? Since they are Serama's, they are probably pretty serious about sitting. You can give them some eggs now (that are due to hatch) and they will hatch and raise them. Chickens cannot tell time - they don't know if they have been sitting 3 days or 3 weeks. If you are concerned about them, then you can hatch the chicks and give them to them at night. Be sure to check on them in the morning and make sure they are taking care of the chicks.

Also, what breed are you hatching? Keep in mind a Serama's size. If you give them large fowl chicks, they might not be able to keep them warm until the chicks feather in.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. akaruby

akaruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Southern Tier, NY
    They've been sitting for about a week and yes they seem serious lol. I'm thinking I'll keep eggs in incubator as one has already pipped. I am hatching bantam Cochins and a few large fowl Cochins. I could always keep large fowl chicks indoors. I think I'll try putting the bantams in at night once they hatch. I hope it all goes well!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, give them the bantams - only 1 or 2 chicks each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by