new to having chickens

Donna100

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
hi my name is donna and im getting my 3 chickens next week and there coop i cant wait.......but i am worried that i wont be doing things right as i havent had chickens before im new to all this,i have read that keep the chickens locked up in there coop the first 24 to 48 hours is this right???? any advise will help thanks

Hello and :welcome
Do you have predators in your area? If so, you've got to keep your chickens inside a coop or run all the time, or else under a watchful eye, if you don't want to risk something running off with them! If you have no predators, like us, it should be fine to let your chickens free range and it's not really necessary to lock them in the coop. (Although if you want them to get used to sleeping in their new home, it might be a good idea to shut the door for the first couple of nights to keep them inside.)
Any questions you have, don't hesitate to post them on the forum, there are many people who can help you answer them. Good luck! :)

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

To help them understand where they live and need to lay, keep them in for 3-4 days. That will also give them a chance to know you, and to come for treats when you call.

Back
Top Bottom