new to having chicks?? curved toe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daniellenoel, Apr 24, 2009.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    I have some new chicks in the brooder 7 total right now. all have hatched since yesterday. Anyways, one of them seems to have a somewhat curled toe? the outermost toe seems to curl under a little? any idea what this may be? He did seem to be a little stuck today in teh bator between some other eggs and maybe his foot got caught there for a while.
    Should I be worried and what should I do?

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I saw something that said to cut out a piece of cardboard to the size of his foot and band-aid his foot to it with the toe straightened. I think someone called it the Band-Aid Splint.....Supposedly this will straighten it out.

If you think it is broken or something, then I'm not sure what to do. Good luck!

3. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    If it isnt terribly bent I would give it some time but if it starts to curl really bad you will have to tape it flat. I have medical tape one on top one on bottom to keep the toes straight, or I just fold one overtop.

4. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Quote:I find cardboard to get yucky and use a coin sometimes. You could wrap either in tape to make it last longer/stay cleaner/ and in the case of the coin not make the foot cold

5. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:I find cardboard to get yucky and use a coin sometimes. You could wrap either in tape to make it last longer/stay cleaner/ and in the case of the coin not make the foot cold

Great point!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My lone Salmon Faverolle chick has a cardboard splint on right now... I'll be taking pics sometime today.

7. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    cool. it is his farthest outside toe in the right. he seems to be walking fine
    but it is curved down a little

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by