new to having hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littleredhennie, Jul 6, 2010.

1. littleredhennie

littleredhennie New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    I was given two little chicks and as they grow I am pretty sure that one is a Cornish X, or similar. Not sure if I want a meat bird, yet. I am wondering if these will lay eggs? I will post pictures and ask for more advice/information tomorrow. Thanks! Happy to be here [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] Welcome! We're happy to have you here!

Sorry I have no knowledge of cornish hens but I'm sure someone will be along to answer that for you soon!

3. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I only have 2 chicks too 1 being a dark cornish..and i really hope it lays eggs...that's what I got them for

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] from California [​IMG]

I see a much bigger flock in your future [​IMG]

BYCers are enablers so be ready to be addicted to chickens in a big way.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I too started with a cornish x, and she laid for me. And she went broody for me and was a great mamma! Meat birds have to lay eggs, or there would not be meat birds. However, they won't lay as well and consisitantly as breeds bred to lay eggs.

Meat birds, egg laying birds, and dual purpose birds are more about tendencies. You can eat all of them, they will all lay eggs. Meat birds get heavier quicker, and lay less. Egg layers, lay more eggs, more consistently and grow slower, and not get as big. The dual purpose breeds are somewhere in the middle.

mk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by