1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to hens in Ireland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Irish hen lady, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Irish hen lady

Irish hen lady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Ireland
    Hi everyone!
    I stumbled across this site recently, and I thought I'd better stick around! Some great advice and hopefully some hand-holding for me as I navigate my way to becoming an experienced hen lady!
    I live in rural Ireland, we've just moved to a place where we've space to keep some hens... Yay! My other half has kept hens before, but I'm a total newbie. We have 6 red laying hens, 4 speckled (I assume F1) Welsummer x Plymouth Barred Rock... A mix of pullets and POL amongst these, and our latest additions, two white leghorn pullets. We've a lovely, spacious grassy paddock for them, and I spend way too much of my day laughing at the antics of them... Some of them are funnier than some people I know :-D
    I'm looking forward to getting to know the site better, but even after a few hours spent hopping from thread to thread, I've increased my knowledge already, so thanks for that!
    My first port of call is to try to resolve the source of much debate... One of our speckled hens is, well, maybe a roo.... Argh... There, I've written it down which makes me have to prepare myself that my denial has been in vain... So, once I figure out how to post pics, it's off to the Big Fat Is It a Rooster thread with me!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. I'm sure you've checked out the learning centre for topics that may interest you and theres also a few members from the Emerald Isle so you may want to search for that thread. We'll await your photo of your cockerel / pullet. I hope i am wrong, but when someone has suspicions about gender, the flipping thing more often than not turns out to be a cockerel - who knows?

All the best
    CT

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. Irish hen lady

Feb 16, 2016
    Ireland
    Thanks CT,
    I think my denial is all the deeper because this hen (?) is the funniest... A real goofball.
    Anyway, I'll get some pics up soon and we'll put the debate, and denial, to bed!
    Thanks for the tip about other Irish folk here, I'll check that thread out too!

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome!

Cheers
    CT

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I visited Ireland for our 37th wedding anniversary and we loved your beautiful countryside. We're planning on taking our granddaughter there for a visit within the next few years. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Irish hen lady

Feb 16, 2016
    Ireland
    Hi Michael and bantamFan4Life, Thank you for your welcomes!
    Michael, I'm going to guess that with your surname, you have strong Irish ancestry? There are soooo many O'Shea's (O'Shay's) in the beautiful county of Kerry, in the far southwest of Ireland [​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome, and yes, my ancestors originally came to America from Ireland. My father was Irish and my mother was 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Cherokee.

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

What a nice intro, I enjoyed reading it. Let us see a picture when you can share one.

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by