New to homesteading! And looking for chicken coop design ideas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TropBeaucoup, Aug 14, 2014.

1. TropBeaucoup

TropBeaucoup Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2014
    Hi everyone! My fiance and I recently moved to the country as we wanted the opportunity to grow our own food. One thing we would like to do is build our chicken coop this year before the snowfall so that we have it all ready to go for next spring to add chicks.

My fiance very much likes the idea of a "Tractor" Chicken Coop. My only concern about this is that for them to be portable they can't be that big. I would like for their outdoor space to be sizeable as we are likely not going to let them be free range. We have a lot of hawks, coyotes, racoons and many other predators in our backyard.

What are some of your favorite designs? There are soooo many available out there that I just can't seem to decide on one.

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Visit the Coops section when you get a chance. You could spend some time there. I have lots of favorite large fixed coops there. Unfortunately, I do not posses the expertise to build them, and don't have a place to put them.

I have what I consider a large tractor and most of the time it takes a lawn tractor to move it. It takes less than ten minutes, but it must be done every day, so they don't have to walk in their own poop and don't destroy my yard. It can be a hassle to make time to do it some days. If you go the tractor route, keep in mind ease of relocation.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice/links above. You might also consider something like electric poultry netting in conjunction with a tractor or coop.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Petrel and Mountain Peeps have given you some great advice and links regarding coops. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular chicken breeds in mind?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. TropBeaucoup

Aug 14, 2014
    Yes ease of relocating is definitely something in the forefront of our mind :) as the idea is for the chickens to help improve our pastures

7. TropBeaucoup

Aug 14, 2014
    No particular breeds in mind yet - definitely more of an egg layer (we will not be raising for meat) and friendly would be nice too. We aren't looking to have many chickens so we will have lots of interaction with them. I live in Ontario, CANADA so we have harsh winters here. So definitely need a hardy breed!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    The breed that would be best for you is the buff orpington. They are super friendly and affectionate, great layers, hardy in cold and bear confinement well.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by