New to homesteading

WindyLookout

Songster
Oct 1, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone
I starting raising chickens this past May. I have a variety of heritage breeds and plan to have chick's in the spring. I am now in the state of building my hens winter home. It can get pretty cold here. I'm looking forward to all the challenges and fun ahead. I do have issues with my polish hen so she is quarantined from the rest and I'm just wondering what I do about wintering her. I can't have her in the house so I figure I'll just move her personal castle inside the larger coop but I'm concerned she won't stay warm enough on her own in there...what should I do? Our coop won't be heated and she gets picked on too much to be with the rest.

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. Maybe ask your question in a new thread on this forum- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States, UK, Europe, Australia, Canada (for other countries, check here - Where am I? Where are you!)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

WindyLookout

Songster
Oct 1, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. Maybe ask your question in a new thread on this forum- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States, UK, Europe, Australia, Canada (for other countries, check here - Where am I? Where are you!)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Location added :)

BullChick

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop in zone 5
983DC2B4-90A0-4E65-ABA8-B6ADABD617C9.jpeg

Try adding one of the other hens with the loner to see if they will bond. Assuming it’s picking, and not the pecking order. If that doesn’t work, get goats. :lol:

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
Is there a way you can find her another polish to bond with or do you know what bird is on the bottom of the pecking order with her?

I'd put one of the lowest pecking order birds with her or find her another polish to bond with. I have two bantam Polish in my flock and they are inseperable. They roost high up in the coop where no one can get them and they don't really socialize with my flock, my husband calls them the outcasts.

Top Bottom