New to Houdan's -- can you tell gender yet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by daproper, May 15, 2010.

1. daproper

daproper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Michigan
    We are brand new to Houdan's, jJust picked up these cute little ones yesterday. We believe they are only a couple of days old. Can you tell gender on a Houdan this early? Any advice on this breed would be greatly appreciated. My son wants to raise them for fair.

Houdan #1

[​IMG]

Houdan #2

[​IMG]

Houdan #3

[​IMG]

Houdan #4

[​IMG]

Houdan #5

[​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I don't think you can tell this early. Those are adorable chicks!

3. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    They are SO flippin cute and I'm officially jealous! I got two Houdans last year and both ended up being cockerels. Your guys are far too young to tell. In my opinion, as with all of the top hat breeds, sometimes it's pretty obvious by 7 or 8 weeks (based on their comb and wattles). You can guess by crest sexing them when they're several weeks old, but I have a Polish pullet who is almost a year old and has a wild crest.

4. kipoley

kipoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    BFE Assyria, MI
    OMG! I was thinking about getting Houdans. These little cuties seal the deal [​IMG]
    ~K

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If they are Hatchery they are harder to tell by the crests, sometimes hatchery Houdan hens can have a spikey crest. My Chicks I hatch here from my flock I can usually tell by the time they are about 6 to 8 weeks old by the crest.

6. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    I was fascinated by my Houdan from the start and took lots of pictures. I even had a post on here trying to help decide hen or 'roo. It went back and forth. Her feathers didn't really get rounded until 14 weeks or later ... so there was the thought she was a he because her feathers looked spikey. But at 19 weeks she started laying [​IMG] and I breathed a sigh of relief. You may be able to tell sooner this was just my experience, but I would say don't jump to conclusions until you hear a crow or see an egg. She's so sweet...the friendliest hen I have now, and lays a beautiful white egg every day [​IMG] Maybe these pictures will help
    [​IMG]

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Hens4fun- Ilove your houdan chart, and the way she grew up. [​IMG]
    daproper- Welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by