New to incubating eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bledsoe95, Jan 10, 2011.

1. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    I have an incubator but no eggturner and i really want to hatch some eggs any advice?

2. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm doing it without an egg-turner. Because mine had such bad broken air cells, I decided to half flat on their sides and half in a carton. All I know is that you need to turn the eggs 3-6 times a day. Write and x and an o on each side and rotate it every time to the x or the o and leave it on the opposite x or o than the night before. If you're doing the carton, put something beneath one side so its raised up and then switch. That's what i've read and what was recommended. I'm still a newbie though on my first hatch. Good luck!

3. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Turn them an odd number of times so that they don't sit in the same position overnight on consecutive nights

4. bledsoe95

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    I have hatched some chicken be4 but not many i got like 4 chicks out of 40 eggs.

5. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Having just said that........i wonder who teaches the hens the difference between and even and an odd number......[​IMG]

6. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Hatch - Away [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  7. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Quote:What I plan to do is to put my eggs in trimmed down egg cartons, large side egg up, prop up one side of the egg carton with a square stick piece of wood. Then 3 or 4 times daily alternate the piece of wood from one side of the egg carton to the
    other. Makes it easier than turning each egg, and will be quicker so you don't loose much heat/humidity from your incubator.

Hatch - Away [​IMG]

8. bledsoe95

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    I heard if you have an odd number of eggs you will get more chicks.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I am doing it by propping one end of the incubator on a block. That way I can turn them without having to open it at all.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Don't believe everything you hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by