NEW to incubating Quail and looking for advise on a reliable thermometer and hydrometer

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hope It, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Hope It

Hope It Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Towns County, GA
    Hi, I'm getting ready to get my first batch of quail eggs going in 2 weeks. I have my incubator (Janoel 24) and tested it out yesterday and overnight, it held a steady 38 C with absolutely no deviation, which is great. But, i'm looking for the additional thermometer and a hydrometer to ensure it really is at the temp that it says it is :)

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand or type of Thermometer and a Hydrometer? Also, where did you get it, etc?
    Any help would be much MUCH appreciated!

Hope

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I'm glad you asked this! I just purchased an incubator that was supposed to come with a digital thermometer and hydrometer, but it didn't so I got a $50 refund and now I'm looking for what is still lacking!
    Can't wait to hear replies.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

One accurite manual and one springfield digital are what I use. I get the accurite ones at home depot or such because you can compare all the ones on the shelf to find an accurate one. The other one I order on amazon.. It comes down to finding two that you think are accurate and actually read the same. I know that sounds silly but I have a box of thermometers that all read different temps.

4. Hope It

Hope It Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Towns County, GA
    Cool, thanks! What about a hydrometer? Is ' close enough ' good enough when it comes to humidity? I know temp has to be pretty precise, but seems like humidity during incubation can be forgiving. Is that correct or am I way of?

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty much. As long as you are close on humidity you are ok. Hygrometers usually aren't as bad as thermometers when it comes to not being accurate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by