New to incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by navywife22, Jun 21, 2009.

1. navywife22

navywife22 In the Brooder

I am very new at this. I have 3 different small shipments of eggs that are supposed to be shipped tomorrow. My question is, once I get the eggs how long do I wait to put them in the incubator.? If I get one batch one day should I wait until I get them all before putting any in the incubator? I have been reading this forum and other websites almost nonstop for several days, seriously! [​IMG] I have seen so many different answers, so I am confused and want to do this right.

I have silkies and EE's coming. I am very excited and cannot wait for them to hatch and they aren't even here yet. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Kari

EDITED: To correct typos and extra words.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. theswede

theswede Songster

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    Personally I would wait till I received them all, then put them in together for the same hatch date. I've saved mine for up to two weeks before to put several in the bator at the same time. Course like I've been corrected on before, waiting that long decreases the survival rate. But you're only talking about a couple of days.

Don't get stressed out over it though, ENJOY IT!! The first time is always the coolest! [​IMG]

3. Pine Acres Peeps

Pine Acres Peeps Songster

May 24, 2009
    Citronelle, Alabama
    I would put them in the incubator within a week of being laid. Let them set at least 12 hours before putting them in the incubator.
    I Wish you a 100% hatch!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  4. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Quote:Why do you let them set for 12 hrs? Does this mean I can not take an egg that is fresh laid, still warm and right into incubator? (i am waiting for the green eggs)

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Crowing

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Why do you let them set for 12 hrs? Does this mean I can not take an egg that is fresh laid, still warm and right into incubator? (i am waiting for the green eggs)

You can put an egg that one of your chickens lays in the incubator without waiting. The "resting period" is for shipped eggs that were beat up going through the postal system.

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: