new to incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ariesmom, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Ariesmom

Ariesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I am new to this and was wondering how are you supposed to turn your eggs without drastically dropping the temp of your incubator?? Does it matter much?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It does't matter. What you are seeing is air temperature. Those eggs are a lot denser than air and hold temperature a long time. The core temperature of those eggs is not going to drop unless you get absolutely ridiculous. You can take enough time to candle them and it won't hurt them.

3. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Opening the incubator for a short period to turn the eggs is not going to hurt anything. Remember that in nature, the mother hen has to leave the nest for several minutes everyday to eat and drink. Mark an X on one side of your eggs and an 0 on the other so you can keep track of your turning. Turn them three times a day for the first 18 days and then candle them (shine a bright LED flashlight through them) to see if they are developed. They should be mostly dark with an air pocket at one end. Most recommend you candle at day 3,7 & 14, but I personally find it hard to really tell a lot early on, so I just wait until day 18 when I am moving them to the hatcher anyway. Remove
    all eggs that are clear or show signs of only being partially developed (Early Quiters).
    On day 18 move them to the hatcher or just stop turning them and let them lay still. Increase the humidity to around 65% and leave the incubator alone for FIVE days. This period is referred to as "lockdown" on this forum. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by