1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to incubating!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by genert2269, Aug 16, 2014.

1. genert2269

genert2269 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Hi all! I just purchased my first incubator, a Brinsea Oct 40 Advance, and I am going to try and hatch some eggs…..fingers crossed. I have it all set up, it has been running since last night as I read that it should run for a bit prior to setting in the eggs. It is reading 52% humidity and 37 for temp. I have read a lot of different humidity levels on here, so I think maybe I should drop it down, just not sure how much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kids are super excited, wish us luck! [​IMG] P.S. I hope I posted in the right area…Sorry if I didn't.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You bought a good incubator [​IMG] I have a Brinsea too and I love it! I incubate at 37.5*C and humidity at 40-45% for the first 18 days, after which I up the humidity to 65%. (Spread a damp cloth under the egg tray to bump up the humidity for lockdown) Best of luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi all yes I have to agree with the above post about the Brinsea I have one too an octagon 20 advance ex with humidity pump. It is an absolutely fantastic incubator my last hatch was 100% with eggs sent through the post!!! Was very unexpected as this was my first attempt with posted eggs. As to temp and humidity I have temp at 37.5 and humidity at 45% for days 1-18 then at lock down bump it up to 65%. Wishing you the very best of luck with your hatch and be prepared for getting addicted to it I can guarantee it will happen!!:jumpy

1 person likes this.
  4. genert2269

Jul 30, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. Yes I am sure i will be addicted to hatching. Kids have checked on the eggs a bazillion times already today lol.

5. genert2269

Jul 30, 2014
    Today I heard a pip!!!! yippie!! Now I am nervous. [​IMG]Just heard another!! I didn't remove the dividers, assuming I wasn't supposed to.

6. genert2269

Jul 30, 2014
    Today I heard a pip!!!! yippie!! Now I am nervous. [​IMG]Just heard another!! I didn't remove the dividers, assuming I wasn't supposed to. Oh and today is day 19….isn't that early?

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congrats on your pip or peeping? Have you heard them or have you seen a pip hole? Are you on day 19? You should have really removed the dividers and laid your eggs on their sides at day 18 on lockdown when you put the humidity Up. Try not panic though are your eggs very upright as if they would be sat in an egg carton? No day 19 isn't too early too hear them peeping. 21 days is just a guide line nothing set in stone.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. genert2269

Jul 30, 2014
    I hear just a "pip" and a few seconds later I will hear another, then silence for a while. No cracks or holes in any of the eggs. The eggs are upright, pointy end down. Should I take a chance and open it up and remove them? Yes today is day 19, I put them in lockdown yesterday morning.

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I understand what you mean now they will be getting in position. Only you can make the call but if they were my eggs I would be getting the dividers out of the incubator with having a Brinsea your temp and humidity should come back up very quickly. Good luck keep me posted on how your hatch goes. Ooh very exciting I'm only on day 8 so have to wait longer:fl

10. genert2269

Jul 30, 2014
    Thank-you so much! I looked again and one egg has some cracking in it. :) I will remove the dividers asap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by