new to incubation. well should I start

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ticks, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Hi there, I have been fascinated with eggs for years. I don't want to buy an incubator if it doesn't work. If I got an automatic turner I would not need to turn the eggs right? Is it hard to do?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Whatever type of incubator you get make sure you read and follow the directions for your type of incubator... if you decide on the turner no you will not have to turn the eggs the turner does it for you...I have two incubators at the moment, one I hand turn the other has the turner......

I suggest more reading of how the incubation of chicks happens...There is a Learning Center Thread on the front page of BYC that has alot of helpful info...

Have fun!!...

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    My advice is be patient. I have messed up a bunch on mine and they've only been in there 2 days. Hopefully they'll still hatch. I'm hand turning mine. It's not that big of a deal. = couldnt afford the turner but it makes it nice so you dont have to keep opening the incubator all the time.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    how often do they have to be turned a day? I have school and I leave at 7:45 and get back at 3:15

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    you have to hand turn them morn noon and night. I'm a stay at home mom so I have the time. You probabaly need the turner.

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

You should start by reading and learning as much as you can about incubating [​IMG]

Check out this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35816

There
    are a bunch of links to websites that are about egg development and such.

I would also try to get a good incubator, it can be stressful enough hatching in perfect conditions [​IMG]

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    thanks everybody. now I got to get an incubator anybody know where I could get some cheap?

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chicken eggs should be turned odd numbers of times... I do and have great results.... it's to keep the yolk from settling to one side and to excercise the embryos...I turn 3... morning, 2 or 3 in the afternoon and 9 or 10 at night...just as long as its an odd number doesn't matter what time it gets done...

LG makes a still air that some on here seem problems with and some have great hatches...it just depends on your having patience to work with your incubator and its instructions... GQF Mfg. make Hovas, McMurray hatchery has bators listed, eggcarton.com has bators...cutlers supply...just to name a few...sometimes you can find some in the buy/sell/trade section on here or just asked if anyone as a used bator for sell...ebay usually has some...Brower makes a good bator...Lyons...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by