New to Incubators....and this forum..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Matt-va, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Matt-va

Matt-va New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    I'll start off by saying hello to all !!

I have owned chickens for 3 years now, and have always just purchased new chicks from the local feed store while growing my flock. This year I have decided to incubate my own eggs when I saw this steak-Styrofoam cooler in the trash. I thought, now there is an incubator just waiting to be made. A little work later, and Im all ready. I have test run it for a couple days, with my lowest temp being 99.5 and my highest being 100.2. The humidity was locked in around 40-50%. My problems came when I added the eggs. The temp. Has stayed in on the money, but the humidity has jumped up to 65-70%. I am thinking this is due to the moisture in the eggs themselves. I started the set on the 13th around 7pm EST.

I was going to add some pictures, but dont have permission from site as of yet,... so pics coming....

2. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Well hello and welcome! I ended up with too many eggs so I am just made my first homemade styrofoam incubator also! Mine is a still air. Temp is good, but I am having issues with my humidity too....I can't seem to raise it above 30 no matter how many water pans are in there. So sorry I can't help you, but I'm hoping someone does that can help me too!:) just wanted to let you know you're not alone lol.

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    throw some rice in. it will absorb the humidity.

4. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    It would help if we knew how you are adjusting you humidity. Venting would help lower the humidity, but could also lower heat. If your thermostat is working correctly any heat loss should be compensated for by the thermostat/heater. as long as the venting wasn't excessive.

You achieve humidity from surrounding air & water in the incubator. It's not the number of pans, although each would add humidity. The best way is to have a large pan that will supply enough humidity so you don't have to add pans at hatching. You can partly cover a large pan to decrease humidity that the pan uncovered provides. If you are providing only the humidity you need for incubation & have no way to increase it at hatch time, then you will be scrambling to figure out how to increase it when the time comes.

the amount of humidity that can be produced by a pan depends on the square inches of surface that can be evaporated. As an example, a 6" x 6" pan has 36 Sq In of surface area, but a 8" x 8" has 64 Sq In of surface area (note that is almost double the Sq In of the 6x6) Thereby almost doubling the amount of humidity produced. It's not the depth of water that matters. What depth does give you is the ability to avoid opening the incubator to fill water pans. (especially helpful at hatching)

5. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Thanks Bill!

6. Matt-va

Matt-va New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    I made a aluminum foil pan in the back corner and have a 4x5 in sponge in it, I ran some tubbing to it so that I could add water when needed and also avoid opening the lid at all. Yes I have tried to make this thing with pennines.... I put it together for about 20$ bucks.... Dag gone thermostat was costly... tried a couple different ones but they were not accurate enough for me... I'll try the rice, I sneak some of my wife panty hose and fill a little rice and drop it in the corner, that way I can remove it if needed. I Have 4 - 3/8" holes for vents I just put tape over them when not needed.. Im currently running with 2 open...

7. Matt-va

Matt-va New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    I want to start by saying [​IMG] hi and [​IMG] you will love this site really friendly people and they are smart ones also. I agree with the post a few before mine ventilation holes wouldhelp that you can cover and uncover when needed. also using a smaller sponge during the first 18 and using that larger for lock down because humidity is to do with the surface area so. anything else you need help with there are many people just waiting to help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by