1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to incubators help please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oscarsgravett, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Oscarsgravett

Oscarsgravett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    Hello

I am planning on hatching chickens to sell and also keep a few for my flock i was going to buy an incubator but my friends said they would buy it for me for christmas which is very kind, they have now purhased it and its also automatic which is extremely useful. I have ordered a candler also. I have sold chickens before and made quite a bit of money out of it but i used broodies to hatch my eggs and i haven't got many chickens now to wait for broodiness to appear so i wanted to get an incubator. I have read books on incubation but i'm still slightly unclear about the whole thing,

Anyone got any information or tips that could help me? :)

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    This page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 in my opinion, is a must read for new hatchers. Also: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation is awesome for candeling.

Listen to people's opinions, (and there are many opposing ones on how to do EVERYTHING) take them into consideration, read as much as you can, use common sense and do what feels natural and works best for YOU!!! Ask questions, even if you THINK they sound stupid, (it's probably a well asked question.) And enjoy the journey of hatching in an incubator. (If you are "normal" hatching will take forever and drive you nuts!! You will stress out and come through it.) Just know that you have found a good community to go crazy with. [​IMG]

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh and if the bator is a still air instead of forced...throw out the manufactor instructions and read hatching 101 well. I say this because everyone that has any experience says still air incubators need to be steady at 101/102 degrees. Most people I've talked to say their bator instructions say 99.5 which is the recommended for still air.

I just noticed you are in England.... you may not have to worry about that...lol (Just don't ask me to do metric conversions....lol)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  4. Oscarsgravett

Oscarsgravett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    Thank you for the info and links they are so useful i will read every bit of them lol :)

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You are very welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by