new to keeping chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stepop80, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Stepop80

Stepop80 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    Hi I'm new to byc I'm just about to buy 6 chicks there unvaccinated I need advice asap thank you [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. What advice do you need exactly?

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

This link may be helpful to you in the short term - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Stepop80, and :welcome. Pleased to have you aboard! CTKen gave you a load of links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think what you are asking, is IF you should buy unvaccinated chicks or not. Some folks do, some folks do not. [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I have 35 chickens, never vaccinated a single one, IMO it is just a waste of money, I just use herbs and essential oils from the day I get them and they are all faring just fine. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have.

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I assume you're talking about the Marek's Vaccine, as that's the list commonly given one. I'd say it boils down to where you live. Where I live, 95% of the local flocks have Marek's, so vaccination becomes a necessity; in other parts of the country, Marek's is a rarity, and so you can usually get by without it. I would recommend contacting your local ag extension or a nearby avian vet and asking about Marek's prevalence in your area.

10. Stepop80

Stepop80 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    Sorry my chicks are only 4 weeks old I bought them from gumtree where they were advertised as 11wks old as the tools of gumtree state you are NOT allowed to advertise any animal under 8wks of age they were advertised as table birds don't worry though they have been saved from slaughter as I don't eat chicken just the eggs I've been looking on youtube to see on how to sex my chicks so I will do my best and let you know the male to female ratio and post some photos they are so cute

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by