New to keeping chickens

crazichuckladi

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Coventry
Hi to you all,

I got my 3 hens from the hen welfare trust yesterday and all seems to be going ok, there's been a bit of bickering and pecking from the largest hen, I'm new to keeping chickens so any advice regarding keeping my girls happy is more than welcome
263a.png

Welcome. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Give them plenty of space. Make sure to put out extra feeding and watering stations so the head hen does not chase off the others. They can guard these areas enough to starve out your birds. If this hen gets to be too much, you can cage her for a while. I keep a large wire dog crate set up in my run permanently. It is called Jail! Ha! I don't tolerate too much aggression and when somebody is just out of control, they are sent to jail for the day. You can also go the route of pinless peepers. I have used these on my flock leader hen. She was a comb ripper when she was young. Just a monster.

Good luck with your flock. I hope you can get this all worked out soon. :)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on providing extra feeders and waterers. Hidaways are also imperative.

I also have a "jail" for my girls. The bad hen goes I there for about an hour. When they return they are always better.

Glad you joined!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom