New to keeping hens - general hen and egglaying advice`

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dabois85, May 30, 2008.

1. dabois85

dabois85 New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Hi all,

We have had our rooster Bob (Pekin Silky Bantom) for approx 3yrs now until approx eight weeks ago he has always lived on his lonesome as a pet. We have now (8weeks ago) purchased from 2 diff suppliers a very small black bantom hen, Elvis (not sure on breed shes all black with a green tinge through all of her feathers, about the size of a large pigeon or dove) we have then also got 2 frizzled bantom hens Polly and Snowflake and a bantom rooster, Rodney (also not sure of his breed, mostly red brown with golden neck and big dark green tail).

All of the hens get along well with each other apart from the smallest one (Snowflake) she is fine during the day but our pekin rooster Bob won't let her roost with the flock he chases her away everynight - is this normal? Is it just because she is still abit young and hasn't reached maturity?

The rest all sleep together on the top rail of their coop some times both roosters next to each other.

I've noticed that nether frizzle has started to lay there both approx 8-9 months old although one is 3x the size of the other - the big one has been mated by Rodney a number of times but still no eggs.

Bob has absolutley no interest sexually in either of the other hens, he and elvis are an exclusive item - she is an excellent layer laying approx one a day (she is only 7 months old according to where we got her) she has laid a clutch of approx 12 eggs but never sat then she started to kick some out of the nest to make way for new ones. I have since removed all but one egg, the first time she went into the nest she started to sit on the nest for about an hour then she leaves the nest. Is this signs of broodiness or normal behaviour - she has always been a very talkative bird and will instantly start to cry if Bob is out of sight (as I say there a like a couple) and the moment she crys - Bob will come running a full pelt to within sight of her. He also stands guard at the door to the pen whenever she goes in to lay her eggs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me understanding this behaviour lol!

Thanks Jamie [​IMG]

2. dabois85

dabois85 New Egg

May 30, 2008
    I thought it might be useful to add that we live in Southern Australia, Melbourne - so now is our winter period thought its still 22degress C during the day but drops to -1 - 3 during the night.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* POOR SNOWFLAKE!!!! AWWWW. Can I have her?

4. dabois85

dabois85 New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Well shes a good flapper maybe with a few months training she'll be ready for the cross atlantic journey lol - I've just put some of Elvis's eggs in an icubator so hopefully she'll have some friends soon.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Good!! And may Snowflake emerge as Queen Supreme of the new chicks!!! Meanwhile, give ol' Bob a little scolding from me and tell him to stop being such a meanie!! I'm sure that will straighten him right out, pronto; Don't you think??? [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* On the other stuff, If I remember from my reading here, frizzles can tend to be very late layers. Interesting size difference, though!! As to Elvis, she certainly sounds broody to me, but maybe she's just figured out how to keep Bob on the hook and all to herself??? [​IMG] Have you tried candling the eggs??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by