New to keeping hens-Question about pullet behavior.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bscorpio73, May 12, 2010.

1. bscorpio73

bscorpio73 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am new to having chickens. I bought 6 chicks about 3-4 weeks old (maybe a week older?). I have put them in a coop, since it is so warm here now, with exception of last few days. I do have a heat lamp in coop for keeping them warm. During the last few cold days, I kept them in the coop, and did not let them in the run. Now that it is warmer out, I have let them run. I am finding them at different times all huddled up in a corner on the ground. I assume that they are sleeping. Since I have had the lamp on 24 hours the past few days, I am not sure that they know when it is day or night. How long will it take for them to roost in the coop, when they are tired and want to nap, or do they nap at all during the day? I guess I am wondering if this behavior is normal. When they are not all huddled together, they all run around, scratch, peck, eat, drink and poop. I have noticed some bloody/runny poop early on, but have them on medicated feed (not antibiotics), and have given them antibiotics in water for past 2 days. This seems to have helped with the runny/bloody poop issue. One or two of them also has sleepy looking eyes, but that is the only thing I notice.

I have a couple of issues in this post, and hope that posting in this forum is the correct place. If not, I will repost my concerns in appropriate place.

Thanks for all the advice in advance. [​IMG]

April

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I find that pile sleeping (as I call it) outside is common - could they have been bathing also? Chicks or ducklings will gather into a pile to enjoy the sun, take a nap or even dust bathe for the chicks.

My chickens usually do not go back to the coop for a nap. They have some dog houses and shade shelters ( plywood on posts) that they like to nap under/in. They only go back to the coop for night, food, or to lay an egg - or to follow me and see what I could possibly be doing. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bscorpio73

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks for your reply. Now that I know they napping/piling is normal, I am at ease. They all seem to be very active, and their eyes are not so sleepy looking anymore. I still have one with runny poop, but don't know which one it is, and I have switched to giving them yogurt so I thought that might be the cause now. I am also putting vinegar in the water. Was only going to do that for about a week.

4. bscorpio73

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oops, posted twice. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by