New to keeping pheasants....looking for opinions and advice

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by mrwoodboat, Dec 14, 2013.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Hi All, new to keeping pheasants (have been raising chickens for a while) and looking for some specifics from those that know. I have a pair of Red Goldens and a pair of Dark Throats (both pairs are this year's hatch: 2013 and from different breeders).
    Enclosure is 16' x 6' x 7' for each pair sharing a common wall between them. The rear 6' is enclosed on 3 sides with the bottom 2' solid all the way around. Interior is planted with a couple of evergreens and some tall grasses. I have some pcs of PVC scattered around for the hen to have some hidey holes.

Now for my specific questions: hatching- I have read about when the hens lay and so forth but, does everyone leave the eggs till she has laid enough to go in the incubator, or do you collect each day? Just not clear about that...I know I leave my Serama's till I have 10 eggs (if the hen is not broody) before putting them in the incubator, but the Seramas lay everyday...

I know I am still a ways off from courtship time (if they even do so this spring being young birds) but trying to further my education about the pheasants...

thanks

2. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Sound like you have great pens for them! Could you post some pictures? You'll want to collect eggs daily or they might go bad, get broken or eaten. Good luck when spring comes!

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I collect the eggs from my red goldens as they lay them.

4. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    Sorry- been tied up with the holidays. Here are a couple of pix before we got the roof on...we have some plants inside and lots of border grasses. Since the photos were taken, we have added some tree trunk with branches and mounted the feeders. We used 2x2 netting for the top even under the back were the metal roofing went. We have red goldens on one side and Lady Amherst on the other. The dark throats are still in the single pen. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. craftiekids

craftiekids Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I love your pens! i love pheasants and wish I could have a few. is it just good for a pair or a two hens and a cock? I know they only lay in the spring but I heard from my friends that they take each egg out as laid and then their hen laid more. Pheasants are tough and I wish you luck! I can't wait to see if you get any babies! Keep the photos coming! Susie Q

6. PheasantsFirst

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    They look they are well made! On problem you might have is not havering a double door, though I've never had an issues with pheasants rushing past me to escape.

7. PheasantsFirst

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    If you don't all ready have it, you'll want to put some type of wire around the outside to keep digging animals out.

8. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    When the netting came in, we put netting inside the doors so you have to open the door then unhook one side of the netting before you can get in or out.
    The bottom sits on bricks then backfilled. Our chicken coops are about 25 yds further in the woods, we used to have some issues with raccoons before we started letting our 3 Great Danes out at night- we haven't had any issues since-

9. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    so given that the bottom 26" of my pens is enclosed with metal, and I have lots of enrichments )branches, plants, straw bunches and pcs of 3" and 4" PVC, is there a reason why I shouldn't or couldn't keep a trio of Coturnix quail in each pen?

10. craftiekids

craftiekids Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you put 2 hens with one cock or do they only breed in pairs? I'm excited for you and I may have my husband copy some of your pens. I know they are tough to breed but they are so beautiful! Keep us all informed.... Susie Q

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by