New to laying eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tamber2000, Oct 4, 2016.

1. tamber2000

tamber2000 New Egg

Oct 4, 2016
    Hi there iam a mother wife of four kids three boys and one girl. Me and my husband both work full time and garden and also tend to are animals and field work we bought his mothers farm and know we have pigs and chickens. This is are first time with chickens just found one so far just wondering of that is normal?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I am sorry I don't understand what you are asking.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Sorry, I'm similarly a little confused as to your question.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I think she means, only one egg.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. :)

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am going to assume you mean you have only found one egg thus far, so I will answer as best I can. Are your hens free ranging, therefor hiding eggs somewhere? What are you feeding them? What are your hours of daylight where you are right now? How old are the hens? Sorry, that is alot of questions, just trying to figure out your situation. I hope you get an answer to your question, and I hope you enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

CuzChickens is correct - there are lots of reasons you might not be finding eggs. Additionally, if your birds are new layers, they may be laying irregular eggs or at irregular intervals. For the first few months, abnormal is normal.

8. tamber2000

tamber2000 New Egg

Oct 4, 2016
    Just wondering is that normal that only one started laying when will the others start laying? When i got home i found two more eggs in the nesting boxes.

9. tamber2000

tamber2000 New Egg

Oct 4, 2016
    yes they are free range of the farm.daylight from 630 am till 730pm when i got home i found two more eggs in the nesting boxes.

10. tamber2000

tamber2000 New Egg

Oct 4, 2016

Free range 20 weeks egg laying mash and feed from the feed mill for eggs.they are wyndote chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by