1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GeorgiaDawgs16, Nov 7, 2016.

1. GeorgiaDawgs16

GeorgiaDawgs16 New Egg

Nov 7, 2016
    Good evening, I am new to mallards and actually new to ducks in general. We have 3 hen and 1 drake that are 6.5 months old. I didn't really know(or think) about eggs and happened upon 2 eggs in their pen exactly 3 weeks ago. I bought an incubator, auto turner, etc. I have a couple questions...
    1. In order to hatch, do the eggs need to lay in the pen for any amount of time or can they go straight into the incubator?
    2. My homemade candler showed a lot of yolk in every egg so either my candler wasn't good enough and I'll fix/re-check them or they're all not fertile. If the first group is all bad, is there anything type of rookie mistake I may have made that you guys have learned from?
    3. If the eggs have been in the incubator and turn out to not be fertile, can those be eaten or are they just throwaways?
    Again, I'm completely new to this and honestly it wasn't in my plans, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my mallards and look forward to growing our herd. Thanks for your help!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I wouldn't incubate the first few eggs - their systems are still working out the kinks.
    Crack some fresh ones open and see if they are fertile. Google what a fertile yolk looks like (has a bullseye type thing on it that looks different than a non fertile eggs).
    Or put them in in the incubator and after 5 days or so, candle them and if they are growing, they were fertile. If none are, then they weren't.

If they have been heated for several days, I'd not eat them. If I forget an egg outside in the summer and it is there the 2nd day, I toss them, but that is me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by