1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Manchester TN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frankm, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Frankm

Frankm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    Manchester TN
    Hi I moved to Manchester last year from S.Fla. I'm new to raising chickens I have about 40 that I bought from Tractor Supply, Barred rock, Road Island Reds and a few other mixes. I just bought a pair of Polish Laced at the fair, I love them and I think I would like to get some other fancy type chickens. My problem is I have 3 Road Island red and 2 Barred Rock roosters, I like having roosters, i think the are so beautiful, One of the Barred Rocks is kinda mean but they all get along with each other but I feel I should get rid of a couple of them and not sure how to. People tell me to eat them but I have them more as pets and as a hobby. I like giving eggs to my coworkers. I would like to find someone close to me that would like them or maybe trade and educate me more on raising chickens.
    Thanks, Frank

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Frank. Glad you decided to join our flock. You can always list the birds you want to remove from your flock on Craigslist. You can also talk to your local feed store. They may know of someone who would like to have them. They may even have a bulletin board you can advertise them on. You might also try checking with your local 4h. Some of the students might like to have them. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Fred, very nice to meet you. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Frank, [​IMG]

It's nice to hear from someone that enjoys their roosters. It is easy to get too many though since 1 roo can handle 10 hens and over-breeding can cause injuries. Once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade section of BYC (that also has a free rehoming place to post):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Get involved in some of the discussions, post a question, or welcome some other newcomers and you'll have the 20 minimum post necessary in no time.

Thanks for joining us!

9. Frankm

Oct 2, 2015
    Manchester TN
    Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

10. Frankm

Oct 2, 2015
    Manchester TN
    Thank you for the great suggestions, I appreciate your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by