new to me 1202

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tad, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I got a used sportsman 1202 today, I am cleaning it up and out, any tips, tricks, or quirks I should look for? it has a new element and thermo wafer thingy already!!

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

wtg

once you finish cleaning it..
    Set it up for 24 hours and monitor the temps and humidity levels.

3. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Just do as previously suggested, get it up and running to make sure it all works fine and that it holds a steady temp.

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Watch the humidity and experiment on it holding that at different levels...found I had to partially cover the pan with foil to keep it from getting too high on this one I have here. The owner told me she only ever cracks open the lower center vent to keep temp and humidity stablized.

5. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I have been cleaning it up, inside and out took the trays out and gave them a solid scrubbing and cleaning, the previous owner hatched in it, but evidently didnt clean the bottom out, [​IMG] so been working on that, I have 2 styrofoam genesis that I may use for hatching since they are easier to clean. I also like the idea of the solid bottom hatching tray gqf offers,.......

6. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Yep, mine was pretty gross too and SMELLED. It's fine now though [​IMG]

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I got a 1202 to fix up a couple years ago. The guy said he used it almost continously for 2 years. It was obvious he never cleaned it once. There was so much chick dust/dander that the turning motor had seized. I had to take it completely apart to get it cleaned. I finally got the turner working and it seems to run well. It should be able to buy my birds some feed early in the spring when I sell it.

Matt

8. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    got it cleaned up, got all the racks disenfected, cleaned etc...set it up in my office, cranked it up, it took a little while to get the temp regulated, but it held overnight with no problems, I am going to wash out the inside one more time ...still a little bleachy odor....and get it set again and start filling it up, I have 6 purple racks and 3 trays, they all fit except one purple rack??? no matter which way you turn it will not fit with the others?? I guess for now i will do with out.... 240 eggs is a lot, especially in the winter:)

9. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    what luck!!!!! lady in the next town who sells mixed bag brown eggs, she has 2 or 3 dozen, so I will pick them up tonite and use them as a test run on the 1202!!!!!

10. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    wooooo hoooooooo, the 1202 is a cranking them out, so far have 5 hatched and a bunch pipping , from the experimental batch!!!!

I am going to hardware store in the morning and looking for parts to attach 5gallon water bucket to the water pan, w/float thing o ma bobber

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by