New to me chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bugman37, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Bugman37

Bugman37 New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    I bought some hens from a woman that said they were great layers. She said they were only a year and 1/2 old. I put them in a chicken tractor that I built. Giving them everything they need like laying feed, oyster shells, grit, etc. I've had them for a week and only one hen seems to lay. She's a good layer laying an egg every other day. But the rest haven't laid an egg between them. So, are they stressed about there new home? Or did I get ripped off? it is possible that one or two of them are starting to molt, but not all of them. What do you think?

Thanks Charles

2. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    When did you get them? They are probably stressed.

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    They are stressed since they are at a new location but when they get used to their new home they will start laying eggs again.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes, everyone is right- it can take them time to start laying again. Then if they are molting it might take longer.

5. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    x2
    Sometimes it'll seem like anything will stress chickens out! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens hate change, so any change will stress them out which can cause them to stop laying. But if they are 1 1/2 years old, it's time for their molt - so that's also a possibilty. They don't lay eggs while they molt, and you can give them extra protein to help them through it. (meat scraps, tuna, cooked eggs, small amounts of cat food, etc)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by