New (to me) ducks!

thumper650

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 10, 2018
Maynard, MA
Hi everyone,
Yesterday was a busy day, as we had some new additions to our family. Marco, 5 y/o pekin, Polo, a 5 year old mallard, and Ruby, a 2 year old Kahki Campbell.
My existing flock is four drakes, 2 pekin and 2 runners. They are in their own house, separated in pairs. The new ones will live in a separate run, but are living in my she-shed at night, until their house is done.
Marco is partially blind and relies on the other 2 to get around safely. I asked the rescue about the obvious ratio probolem, but they said there wasn't a problem as of yet. We'll keep an eye on her and separate if there's a problem. They're really skittish, but I'm hoping they'll calm down once they figure out I'm the food dispenser. They were surrendered when their flock mates were attacked by a predator, so I believe they were free range.
We got our first egg this morning. It was really exciting, now I'm going to read what I'm supposed to do with it!
newducks.jpg

I made brownies with the first two eggs and just made a cake. Haven't tried it yet since it's for a friends birthday we are celebrating tonight.
I evicted the new editions from my he-shed yesterday and they spent the night in their new secure run. I think they miss the shed but they seem ok. Ruby made a nest like thing and laid her egg in it. I took the egg, but will this upset her? She didn't seem to care.

Back
Top Bottom