New to me trick for dirty egg cleaning

zabrielle23

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2015
tylertown, ms
I you are like me every other day there is that one or two eggs that are very dirty. And if you clean them too hard they break on you. Easy tips soak them in a small container for twenty minutes. I do it for all my eggs and they are so much easier to clean. The dirt wipes right off no scrubbing or anything then I just rinse and dry off with a dry towel. Hope this helps someone.

I don't like to keep my eggs wet any longer than necessary. Just my theory, but I think it makes them more likely to absorb bacteria through their pores. When I'm washing them under warm running water, if there's a messy one, I set it in a bowl while the water runs over it. Never more than a minute. That usually does the trick. Any such eggs get set aside for my own use.

We have a dedicated "egg sponge" which has the white scotch brite like material on one side, sponge on the other. I hold the egg under a running faucet and very gently scrub any bad ones. Very quick and never lost an egg this way...and they clean up really well.

I buy the scrubby sponges at dollar store, 10 pack. Each one cuts into 1/4th, I don't feel at all bad about tossing it and reaching for a new one when I feel that they have become more dirty or worn than I want to use.

Back
Top Bottom