New to Meat Birds...Gotta few questions...

FOGHORNRABBITRY

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
NEWPORT, NC
Well I got my shipment of 25 Cornish Cross Pullets from Murray two weeks ago and I must say these things are amazing! I also got 25 Red Stars along with them. I have raised several birds in the past just never Cornish X. I am reading about how fast these birds grow and am amazed.
My questions are this about the meat birds....

1) How long do I feed start & grow?

2) What do I feed after the start & grow?

3) How long do I have to have them under the light?

4) What is the average kill age for the pullets?

Thank you so Much for any help with this adventure.
idunno.gif

1) How long do I feed start & grow? Not sure if your feed start and grow is medicated or not. Mine (chick starter it's called, is medicated). I feed it for about 4 weeks.

2) What do I feed after the start & grow? I feed a 18%-22% protein meat bird feed. I feed them this until I butcher them. I also feed 12 hours on, 12 off.

3) How long do I have to have them under the light? Depends on how warm it is in the brooder area. Two or three weeks is likely sufficient.

4) What is the average kill age for the pullets? Depends on what your intentions are. Cornish is potentially ready for being a frying chicken at 8 weeks. I tend to grow mine slower (to avoid leg problems) and bigger and use them for roasters.

Thanks so much redsoxs.

Do you move them out of the brooder area in 2-3 weekss?

I was thinking of moving them into a small area in my rabbitry that is still mostly covered with just a single light for the potentially cool nights.

Back
Top Bottom