New to Muscovies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by doubleatraining, Sep 15, 2012.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm actually pretty new to ducks in general. I hatched a Welsh Harlequin duckling a few months ago and she has been raised with chicks because there weren't any local ducklings her age. A few weeks ago I bought some scovies: choc pied, black pied, and barred? hopefully all are ducks. If all are ducks then I'm going to add a choc pied drake to them and be finished buying adult ducks.

Questions:
    - When are muscovies "mature"(laying, breeding)?
    - I've heard they won't cross breed with the WH because they prefer their own....something about being in the goose family?
    - Is there a color genetics chart somewhere so I can figure out WHAT color the barred? looking one it and what I might get out of the breedings next year??

THANKS!!

2. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    They will lay when they are darn good and ready lol but as a rule 6-8 months.

They will cross with your Welsh.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My muscovy are 6 months and one of the 4 hens just laid her first egg yesterday. If they have not started by the end of this month, they probably won't until spring.

I have heard that they will not breed with other ducks that they are not raised with. I did have muscovy and rouens at one point (the rouens were younger) and the drake wanted nothing to do with those ducks. If there are no other mates, it probably wouldn't matter. I have also read that mule ducks (muscovy crosses) don't have great a great fertility rate and many commercial breeders of crosses use artificial insemination. The offspring that do hatch will be sterile.

That being said, welshies are little. Muscovy drakes are huge and do a fair amount of stomping in their mating. I would worry about a little duck with a muscovy drake.

Here is a link to a genetics site, it's for chickens but will basically work the same http://www.hpbaa.com/Genetics.html
    go to the bottom and click "chicken calculator" (use the "show examples" button, much easier)

4. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Thanks for the info so far. I have NO idea how old my scovies are. I know they are younger but I'm not sure if thats is 3 or 5 months old.....

The drake I will be getting is younger but hasn't been raised with other ducks so maybe he will leave my WH alone?

I have it set up so the ducks sleep in the floor of my grow out pen. I have a roost in there for the ones that are old enough but the teenagers that haven't decided to roost yet sleep in a dog pile on the floor and the ducks sleep in a dog pile in the other corner. They are really consistent about it which makes life easier.

Do I need to set up a duck nesting box in there for them? Will they lay in there? I REALLY don't want to have to egg hunt daily in the spring....there are just TOO many hiding places available.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm also pretty new to 'scovies. In May I got a half dozen day-olds who are now four-months-old and HUGE (well, the boys are anyway, 2 drakes, 4 ducks). As I understand it, they will start to lay in the spring after they hatched. So, since mine hatched in May, they will probably start to lay sometime in March next year, making them about 10 months old. If they were hatching now, they would still start to lay in March next year, even though they would only be 6 months old. These are the only ducks I have so I can't answer your other questions.

6. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
  7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine start laying about 5 months old.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine are usually around the 6 month mark before they start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by