New to Muscovy ducks, a couple questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WillsC, Mar 13, 2012.

1. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Hello all, new member but have been reading as many threads as I can. I'm in central Florida and a couple weeks ago picked up my first ducks, 5 muscovy ducks and a drake. I bought the ducks for meat production and to help control the fly population around the rabbits. The ducks are young adults and get to free range 3 fenced acres and have a secure 300 sf locked pen to sleep in at night. I love the fact they actually put themselves to bed and I have yet to have to herd them in to the pen.it gets toward dusk they head for the pen by themselves. So far I love them, they sure are home bodies though as they still have not ventured more than 300 feet from the pen.

One of the ducks already has a nest of 9 eggs, still laying an egg every day or two days......and that brings me to the first question. I have 4 nest houses for them in their duck house made from a quartered barrel but I just built those and before I could one duck decided my shop was a good spot for a nest. It is fine and I close the door at night to protect the eggs......I am assuming I can't move this nest right?

The other question I have is if and when she turns broody and if the eggs hatch is it best to remove the ducklings and brood them in a heated box or will they be ok and safe staying with the duck and the other ducks? We do have a very healthy hawk population here.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

And congrats on your ducks, muscovies are really a nice breed. your ducks may not even use a nest box, mine just like to make an indention in the bedding and line it with feathers. and I don't think you will be able to move her nest since she has decided to make it in your shop. They don't like to be moved. and she may not even go broody, start looking for feathers in the nest thats a good sign she is thinking about it. I just removed 9 eggs from one nest sight and 7 from another that noone had claimed as of yeaterday. and Muscovies make wonderful mothers and they will be fine with the rest of the ducks, the drake maybe a problem and maybe not since they have such a large area to range in, but drakes can and will kill ducklings. as for your hawks, we all have them so it will be up to you to let them free range with the rest but if they were mine I would let them have as normal a life as possible. All the best to you and your ducks.

3. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Miss Lydia,

How long do you give them to go broody.....till days pass with no additional eggs laid? The nest is on concrete, not sure if that matters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by