New to Muscovy ducks need help

chickenbuttsowhat

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Danville, Arkansas
I got 3 new Muscovy ducks 2 drakes and a hen I raise chickens and always wanted ducks so my husband got me some but not really sure what they need for a nest i got them with my chickens and they get along great just my hen won't lay I've had them for about a 6weeks now they r fully grown I feed them corn and laying pellets even put a kid swimming pool for them they was so happy cuz the previous owners didn't have them with them I would just like to know what my girl needs so she can lay me some eggs and hatch me some babies inside the coop I have hay and my chicken nesting boxes but she just doesn't seem to care can anyone give me some pointers

Its not quite breeding/laying season yet is probably the reason she's not laying.

If you want her to set on eggs when she does start laying, then if your coup has solid walls, you can just prop a piece of plywood or something to the same effect against the wall in one corner so she can go behind it. Or you could build her a wooden box that's maybe 18x24 and put an entrance hole on one end of it. Or buy a large storage tub and cut a hole in it.
Or anything like that, ducks tend to want a darker, hidden place to nest that's less open than a typical chicken nest box.

But if you don't want then to set or if you just keep ducks just to be layers, then they don't need and won't use a nest box, they just drop the egg whereever they are standing when they get the urge to lay. And ducks almost always lay very early in the morning.

Last edited:
i'll add that it sometimes can take them longer than six weeks to settle in, they need to feel safe and secure to start laying. i wouldn't be worrying too much yet, especially if it isnt breeding season where you are. just wait and soon you wont know what to do with all the new little ones!

Muscovies are not the greatest layers from what I've heard. They lay to hatch chicks.
tongue.png

Thanks u guy now I feel better knowing how they r going to see if I can get some more girls cuz I would love to have lil ducklings running around in the yard next summer with my chicks
smile.png
I always wanted black Swedish ducks but after I got muscovite I just fell in love with their cuteness lol I'll be sure to have my husband make a dark safe spot for my girl by the way ...... When is breeding season?

Quote:
I'd get more girls for the boys or they will mate your duck hen to death. and My muscovies won't lay again till spring, they are seasonal layers.

Muscovys aren't like other ducks. They don't lay like Pekins or others. They only lay 3 to 4 times a year and not continuously. They will lay a clutch every 3 to 4 months. They'll lay sometimes from 6 to 20 eggs and then stop. They're not the best ducks for eggs but they're the best for so many other reasons.

I absolutely adore my Muscovy ducks and wouldn't trade them for anything!!

If a muscovy crosses with any other breed of duck, the resulting ducklings will be sterile. Muscovies are genetically different than any of the mallard derivative ducks so it is like a horse and donkey. Result is a mule.

Oh, and if you don't already know - muscovies fly very well. If they are happy at home, they will stay, but they can and do fly like a bird. Most of the domestic ducks cannot fly.

Quote:
All ducks lay to produce young, If managed right a muscovy does quite well in the production of eggs just never leave more than one egg in her nest. If you take all the eggs she will notice and move/hide her nest leave one there and she will add another. Rhey like to have 12-18 before going broody [they love to brood] and while broody or raising her family she will quit laying.

Back
Top Bottom