New to my coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sassymo, May 16, 2010.

1. sassymo

sassymo New Egg

May 16, 2010
    This is my first time posting and first time to own chickens. I got 12 chickens from one farm and was told that all were about 5-6 months of age. I have 4 Australorpe, 4 BR, and 4 RIR. We've had them now for almost a week. We were told that some were laying but he wasn't sure which ones since he didn't have a "Chicken Cam." So far none are laying but all seem to be adjusting fine. 2 of the Australorpes stayed in the coop for a whole day but have now ventured out to where the other chickens are. They have plenty of roosting poles and nesting boxes in their coop (along with food and water outside the coop). There may be some already dominate hens as a few of the RIR's have bare "backsides" due to chickens pulling out their feathers. Just wanted to know what others thought of this and how long until they may feel comfortable enough to lay? Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First off. [​IMG]

From AZ [​IMG]

Do the chickens have places outside where they might be hiding their eggs.

I would probably keep all of them in the coop for 4 or 5 days. (if the coop is large enough)

Those that don't have feathers on the backs were most likely over bred by the farmer's roos.

So glad you joined us.

3. sassymo

sassymo New Egg

May 16, 2010
    Thank you for the advice! I will certainly try keeping them in the coop for a few days to see if that helps. I can't help but wonder if they are just stressed from the change in environment. I did witness one of my BR's pecking at a RIR's behind today so that might be the reason for the naked butt's!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by