New to ordering Chickens online - I have babies that are weak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Candiss, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Hi, I was interested in finding out if there are any tips on what can be done, I ordered day old chicks and as expected a few were weak, I am trying to save them, is there any information that the more experienced chicken peeps can help me with. Thank you in advance for your help..

Candiss

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    sulmet is recomennded in their water when they arrive-it is a type of cocci med-but it also helps with destressing them-follow directions on bottle for the dilution amounts with water-I swear by it for many things-its not expensive either-your animal feed store should carry it?

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=366516 this might help some. also Make sure there getting food and water. Dip there beaks into it gently if there not. Put a small amount of sugar like 2 tsp to a gallon i believe, in there water. Check the vent area's for any blockage. see if there poop has blood in it and mostly do not handle them alot. Disinfect your hands before and after. handling them some chicks take a bit to get going. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Thank you for the information. I very much appreciate it.

Candiss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by