New to owning chickens..have a very broody hen.. can I

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JanaBanana1, Mar 6, 2011.

1. JanaBanana1

JanaBanana1 In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    One of the hens I got yesterday is very broody. I am new to this whole chicken thing, but am enjoying the experience [​IMG] Can you tell me, could I put a fertilized egg under her and would she raise it as her own? I don't have a rooster, but my friend does. Or could I put a day or 2 old chick under her and would she raise it? Has this been done?
    Thanks

2. Josie

Josie Songster

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have read about people on this site doing both of those things, but the norm seems to be putting the eggs under her and letting her incubate and raise them. The chick thing can get dicey.

3. JanaBanana1

Feb 22, 2011
    Thanks Josie =}

4. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    But don't put just one under her! A baby chick needs at least one sibling to be happy. My broody had seven eggs under her and only two hatched. I'd put at least four under her.

5. JanaBanana1

Feb 22, 2011
    Quote:Were these fertilized eggs you got or do you have a rooster? That is more chickens than I would want if all 4 hatched though...we have a smaller area and already have 5.

6. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They were fertilized. I have a roo and all the eggs we open are fertilized, so I don't see why these wouldn't be. There were 3 that never grew and two more that developed nearly all the way and then died, so the momma kicked them out of the nest. The other two little peepers were born this last weekend.

This was the broody's first time setting and I'm in Wisconsin and it is still very cold here, but she did a great job keeping her eggs warm so I'm not sure that cold was a factor. I think 2 out of 7 is probably pretty low, but I don't think that most broodies hatch every single egg put under them. I'd just hate to see a little cheeper all by himself. [​IMG]

7. JanaBanana1

Feb 22, 2011
    Yeah its still cold here...snowing as I type. I would love to get some fertilized eggs, but I think it would be better if I wait until May or so when its much warmer and they will have a better chance? Hopefully one of my hens will be broody at that time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: