New to owning chicks, two health questions!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jordy21, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jordy21

Jordy21 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I have 6 chicks in total ranging from 2.5-3.5 weeks in age, all of different breeds.

Today in the Plymouth rock (who also has deformed feet but gets around fine), I noticed that she has some gunk on her belly I guess you would say. I'm not sure what it is from, any help/advice would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

Also my Leghorn x seems quite lethargic or just more sleepy than the others and always lays down with her wings open. She will drink when prompted and is more than happy to eat. Is this normal growing behaviour?

[​IMG]

I had my silver pencilled wing Wyandotte die yesterday, of unknown cause. Somebody on here called it dropsy?

I believe I have given everything they need. Heat lamp, shavings as a base and chick starter feed and water.

[​IMG]

I have attached a photo of both the birds I am concerned about, and also of my set up to see if you think it is ok :) the water is brown in the photo as it had Vegemite added to it for a few hours for them to sip at for extra vitamins :) All of the others seem to be thriving :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    The BR chick has probably had some diarrhea, and it has dried on the feathers around her vent. Gently soak the area with warm water to clean it off as often as needed. Your other chick may just be sunbathing, does she primarily do this under the heat lamp?

Anytime you offer water that has additives you should also supply plain water, as sometimes additives will cause birds to not drink as much, and chicks under heat lamps need to drink a lot of water. Chick starter offers all the vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy. The only time chicks need electrolytes is if they are stressed or ill, or not eating well. Some human supplements carry too much of certain nutrients, such as iron, for chicks.

You are also close to needing a bigger brooder - they grow very quickly!

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If you can find Corid or Amprolium, I would give that to them *immediately.* Hunching, weakness, and sudden death are symptoms of Coccidiosis, which spreads very quickly and can decimate chicks. Yours are about the right age.

Also, for week 2-3, the brooder should hold 90-85°F for the babies. Any warmer, and you'll see lethargic, sleepy chicks.

Do track down some Amprolium or Corid. We can order it online or get it from a feed store here. If you have other chickens, please consider running it through their water.

We will help with dosing as soon as we know which one you get. :)

MrsB

4. Jordy21

Mar 20, 2015
    Thanks guys,

I am trying to find where I can buy those things in Australia! I am in Victoria.

They will be getting a bigger brooder in the next few days :) i don't believe that the brooder is too warm :)

5. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada

6. Jordy21

Mar 20, 2015

She does have deformed feet (as stated), I tried a few things but nothing would stick.. She gets around fine for now, has sensation etc... I just got some coccivet from the feedstore. Hoping it helps! My Australorp and my leghorn x are the only ones that seem to be suffering.

7. Jordy21

Mar 20, 2015
    The australorp died this afternoon :(. I had treated with coccivet, but I guess I was too late.

The Leghorn x is still very sleepy and still lays with her wings open, but her poos look normal and she is happy to eat and drink. Maybe she is just a lazy baby? Not sure.

All of the others are thriving. I have put them into their bigger brooder today, so they have more of a chance to move around alot more and be capable of controlling how close or far away they are from the heat source better :).

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sounds good - hope everyone else does well.

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

Do be very careful using vegemite as I'm guessing it has a very high salt content like our Marmite (but of course I appreciate that your Vegemite is 100x better than our stuff [​IMG].... I know comparing Vegemite and Marmite is more contentious than The Ashes!!!).

I would guess that the leghorn x chick may be too hot if it is lying with it's wings out and is lethargic.

I think it is rather unlikely that these chicks would have coccidiosis at this early stage as it appears they have had no exposure to earth/soil yet.

Sorry to hear that you lost the australorp but good to hear that the others are thriving. You can give them a little scrambled egg mixed with natural yoghurt once in a while as a treat but also to help their digestive system, especially if you have some with poopy bots.

Good luck with them

Regards

Barbara

10. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If there are other chickens on the premises, coccidiosis can come from contaminated boots, hands, clothing, equipment, almost anything. It is highly spreadable. It's better to hedge against it than think there's no way your chicks could get it, in my opinion. I'd also refrain from giving birds yogurt. They lack the proper enzymes to digest dairy products... If you want pro-biotics, it's healthier, in my opinion, to give fermented feed.... But there are people who swear by it, so take that for what you will.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I have a flock of Australorps, and they are charming birds. I hope you have an opportunity to pick up a few more. :)

I doubt the leghorn is a lazy chick. If a chick is lethargic, that usually means something is a little off - it's just determining what that is that's the fun part. Keep going with the Corid and see if that perks your leggy up.

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by