new to peafowl..strange behavior

khawks

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
warsaw, virginia
This is strange to me, it just sits there...not interested in bugs or water or grass.or treats. Doesn't make any peeping noises. Is thia normal for peafowl?

I am fairly new to peafowl as well, but my chicks are very active. Have you had the baby long? It looks like it has feathers missing on his wing, are there any injuries? Have you wormed? Lots of questions but these answers will help the more experienced ones help when they log on.

No, not normal... Peachicks fade fast, so if I were you I'd buy a kitchen or postal scale and get a baseline weight on him. Next, I'd keep him inside where it's warm (80-85 degrees would be ideal) and get a good look at his poop. Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

Ive been keeping him inside, and thought I'd let him get some fresh air. I've had this one for about 3 days now and this is the way they acted. They were with about 30 other chickens the same age (then one got eaten by a snake along with several others of my \flock) so I moved this one inside. The poop is normal if I compare it to chicken poop! Ive been giving him electrolyes in the water
No, not normal... Peachicks fade fast, so if I were you I'd buy a kitchen or postal scale and get a baseline weight on him. Next, I'd keep him inside where it's warm (80-85 degrees would be ideal) and get a good look at his poop. Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

Last edited:
I am fairly new to peafowl as well, but my chicks are very active. Have you had the baby long? It looks like it has feathers missing on his wing, are there any injuries? Have you wormed? Lots of questions but these answers will help the more experienced ones help when they log on.

Yes, the feathers are missing and on the back of the head!!! I got it 3 days ago and it was in a brooder with about 30 other chickens and both of them were missing feathers--so I assume this was due to feather picking. I purchased it with another peachick and it was eaten by a GIANT snake (you can see the snake if you go to my profile and look at the picture). both of them acted this way...WAY too calm. they just sit there. After the snake murder, I moved this one inside, and it peeps about 9 int he morning for about 20 minutes and that's it. I haven't wormed, I think its only like 3 months old?

Peachicks this age should make daily weight gains, so I strongly suggest that you start weighing him. If 100% of his poop looks normal (firm with a white cap or the darker firm cecal poop) and he's gaining weight, he's probably okay.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Poor baby he looks so pitiful, he is scared and that is normal for peas , they are not like chcikens they will come for their favoritie treat but unlike a chicken if it is new you might have to work a little to get them to try things, it depends on how they start their lives, if hatched and just thrown in a brooder till sold they are going to take a while to settle in, many members here have imprinted peas and they settel alot faster in a new place cause they are use to having folks fuss over them
D.gif
cause we lovem so even if we know some of them have to go one day
sad.png

you have already been given some great advice, soon as he starts eating good get him a dust bath area , he needs a dust bath bad and this is good for them.
i use bagged peat moss from home depote and a little sand and ashs if i have them, he will love you for it,

Are you going to get him a friend? they do like company
wink.png

Last edited:
Poor baby he looks so pitiful, he is scared and that is normal for peas , they are not like chcikens they will come for their favoritie treat but unlike a chicken if it is new you might have to work a little to get them to try things, it depends on how they start their lives, if hatched and just thrown in a brooder till sold they are going to take a while to settle in, many members here have imprinted peas and they settel alot faster in a new place cause they are use to having folks fuss over them
D.gif
cause we lovem so even if we know some of them have to go one day
sad.png

you have already been given some great advice, soon as he starts eating good get him a dust bath area , he needs a dust bath bad and this is good for them.
i use bagged peat moss from home depote and a little sand and ashs if i have them, he will love you for it,

Are you going to get him a friend? they do like company
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom