1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Peafowl!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ash1089, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Ash1089

Ash1089 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Hi everyone! I have had 3 peafowl for about 2 months now. I think (and i don't blame the man who sold them to me, I blame myself for not remembering the names) that they are an india blue, a black shoulder, and a cameo. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what gender they are. I read somewhere that if their feathers shine green in the sun, its a male (what i think is the india blue is starting to get green feathers), and if it shines blue-green, its a female. However, they have some solid brown on their wings, so i decided instead of waiting, I could consult the experts!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is what i think is the india blue

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the cameo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the black shoulder (I think he/she hates its picture being taken)

2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I'm not really sure how to tell but there is a whole section dedicated to peafowl and I'm sure if you post there, you would get a lot of help! :)

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd post in the peafowl section, as they are peafowl experts, whereas many of the people on this section tend to be better at sexing chickens. You have some very pretty birds!

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    The Cameo and Indian Blue are females, the tops of their backs and wings are solid in colour and not barred(males of the pattern winged varieties would have barred backs at this age), the black shoulder I am not sure, if its an Indian blue black shoulder(black shoulder being only a wing pattern, not a colour, any colour can be black shouldered) I would say its female, my males always seem darker on the back at this age. Then again my Midnight Black shoulder male was actually really light for a long time before he started to darken up....... black shouldered birds can be tricky....

I would say 3 girls tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by