~ New to peeps/chickens ... need all kinds of advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie_in_PA, May 15, 2008.

1. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    I'm new to peeps/chickens. My granparents had a farm with chickens ever since I can remember ... so I know "a little" ... but I've never owned any myself ... so I don't know nearly enough !

I ordered our first peeps today (through Milroy Farm in Quakertown PA) and ordered 75 ! My granparents plan to get SOME of them from me .... so I'm not sure how many we'll end up with ... but we'll probably still have alot.

Anyway, I need as much advice as you all are willing to give ! I know very little about this, and have been reading (online research) some about their care, etc.
    SO any helpful words of advice ?? What should I expect once my peeps arrive ? What equipment/supplies/etc. will I need to have prepared for their arrival ?

Any helpful advice would be GREATLY appreciated [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    1st thing you'll need is a BIG brooder and a few heat lamps.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    And [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Welcome the the madness. Wow....75!??? [​IMG] You jumped in with BOTH feet hu!?? [​IMG]

OK, so you will need a HUGE brooder...some sort of crate...box...even a large animal water trough. With 75 babies...you will need several feed dishes and water dishes. I would say...maybe 5 of each. They will need to be kept at 95 degrees the first week, then decrease by 5 degrees each week. When you start taking them from the shipping boxes....take each one, and slightly dip thier beaks in the water dish. .. to show them where the water is. Put them on paper towels for the first week or so...no shaveings, as they might think its food, and get impacted crops. After about a week..they can go on shaveings.
    What can you expect?? LOTS and LOTS of peeping and pooping! [​IMG] Good luck with the babies...and enjoy!! Oh, and of course, we will want pics!! [​IMG]

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Well my best advice is to sit back grab some [​IMG] and [​IMG] and just [​IMG]
    Oh, I almost forgot [​IMG] to the addiction of BYC

6. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Thanks !!! [​IMG]
    Well, yes .... 75 .... but some of them (not sure how many) will be going to my Grandparent's farm. So I may end up with about 50 (or something like that).

As for a "brooder" ... is that basically a place to keep them where they'll stay that warm ? Like with heat lamps ? Because we do actually have a "heat box" in our barn. It's a large "hand made by my husband" wooden box basically that has 2 levels to it. The top level can be closed off, and it has 2 heat lamps installed. IS that what your talking about basically ? Do I have the idea correct ?

And ... 5 feed dishes, and 5 water dishes is what you say I need ... right ? I'll be purchasing these soon.

What else do I need to purchase ?? Other than feed obviously.
    What about minerals and such ? Anything else important ?

7. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  8. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Ok ~ thanks [​IMG]

Well, I called about my order, and found out the ship date. My peeps should arrive June 18th or 19th [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm so excited ! I can't help it ... I've got farmer's blood in me. I get it honest from my Grandpap. I already have a small hobby farm - I have 14 goats, 1 pony, 4 barn cats, and 3 dogs ... oh yes, and 1 little tiny bottle baby wild bunny that I rescued (but am not certain if it will survive).
    I LOVE the farm life ... it's ME [​IMG] And now I get to add chickens to the mix .... I'm SOOOOOOO excited about that ! And I can't wait to have enough eggs to be able to offer some farm fresh eggs for sale.

I have a feeling that I will be a regular here ... since me and hubby really want to get into this chicken business [​IMG] He has already talked about making or getting an incubator so we can hatch our own fertilized eggs. And we alreayd have people wanting to buy whole chickens (packaged) from us. So we also ordered a few broilers - just to try them and see how we like them.

Can you feel my excitement !!! ??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And I love to SEE chickens ... I just love to see the looks of a nice farm ... with free range chickens, and whatever else. I think I'll be really happy with my goats, chickens, cats, dogs, and pony .... actually we might even get another pony or mini horse this year as well. I also considered adding a couple of giant rabbits (like the French lops) to the barnyard. [​IMG] oh yes .... the life of a hobby farmer .... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  9. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    What breeds did you order? That's so fun that you have your farm and now chickens.

10. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    I ordered 3 Cornish Giant Cockerals,
    and 75 (straight run - as hatched) hybrid - they're a cross between a White Rock egg layer type female and a Rhode Island Red male.

That's what the description is on the site. I ordered them through Moyer's Chicks in Quakertown PA ~ www.moyerschicks.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by