New to pigeons

Skye727

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014
Sandy, oregon
I got 5 pigeons about a month ago. I have two trumpeters, a fantail and probably two homers. One is gray with a very long beak. I think he's a homer. Not sure. They are in a coop with a frizzle serama roo and a serama hen. They have an attachment to the coop, so they can fly out and sit on perches in the sun. Is it ok to let all the pigeons out? The fantail doesn't really fly to the perches much. He likes to be on the ground. The seramas don't like the high perches. I had a hawk problem for a while that took out my whole serama flock two months ago. I was letting them free range with the big chickens until I realized. But it was too late. Now all my chickens are locked up with a tunnel to go in. Should I worry about the pigeons flying? Will the seramas get out if I leave an opening at the very top where I have never seen them? My homers got out once on accident, but stuck around and came back after a while. I'm just so afraid of losing them. I have lost a lot of chickens to predators lately. A raccoon got into the coop and got my silkie last week. I was heartbroken!

I got 5 pigeons about a month ago. I have two trumpeters, a fantail and probably two homers. One is gray with a very long beak. I think he's a homer. Not sure. They are in a coop with a frizzle serama roo and a serama hen. They have an attachment to the coop, so they can fly out and sit on perches in the sun. Is it ok to let all the pigeons out? No. The homers will immediately head back to their previous home.The fantail doesn't really fly to the perches much. Fantails will not leave, but are hopeless to avoid any kind of predator. He likes to be on the ground. The seramas don't like the high perches. I had a hawk problem for a while that took out my whole serama flock two months ago. I was letting them free range with the big chickens until I realized. But it was too late. Now all my chickens are locked up with a tunnel to go in. Should I worry about the pigeons flying? Keep your pigeons confined; especially with hawks about. Will the seramas get out if I leave an opening at the very top where I have never seen them? Serama are good fliers unless you have frizzle. sizzle, or silkied serama that are not good at flight. Possibly they would not find the opening, but... My homers got out once on accident, but stuck around and came back after a while. Are your homers babies? Adult homers would not have stayed unless they are of the poorest quality I'm just so afraid of losing them. I have lost a lot of chickens to predators lately. A raccoon got into the coop and got my silkie last week. I was heartbroken! Keep your birds confined. What benefits there are to being free are outweighed by the dangers.
Post pictures of your birds if you can. I raised many breeds of pigeons in the past and have serama now.

Not totally sure on the breeds. Just guessng. No picture of my new guy. Looks like the trumpeter but smaller feathers on feet. He's black and white. Any idea what these are and the sex?

Yes. Trumpeter. Sexing from a picture is a no go. Hard enough when you have the real bird in front of you. In most cases it's the behavior that tells the sex. Males court the hen by dragging their wings and cooing loudly while spinning in circles. This is done a lot so it does not take long before sex is known.

Like the roo's colors. Fantail. Indian fantails have a small crest on the back of the head.

Looks to be a very young homer.

Adult homer-not sure of type Possibly even a different breed..

Not totally sure on the breeds. Just guessng. No picture of my new guy. Looks like the trumpeter but smaller feathers on feet. He's black and white. Any idea what these are and the sex?

Thanks! The roos name is disco. He's a nice guy. Hoping him and his wife will make cute frizzle babies. I have a white smooth hen.

Back
Top Bottom