1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to polish crested

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tgblldog70, Sep 25, 2012.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    On Sunday I woke DH to go on a road trip for some polish crested chickens 3 hens 1 roo. I did my research on them and am prepared for their lack of sight, but was not prepared for having to teach these chickens to be chickens. When we got to the place he had them in a very large crate that was suspended to make room on the ground. Ok no biggie but I found out these guys have never been on the ground EVER. He purchased them through rural king when they were 2 days old. He does not want this kind of breed he wants the white polish crested. So these guys have been for sale for awhile. They are very healthy but just never had the warm sun on their feathers or the ground to walk on. Now we are having to train them to perch and go in and out of the door. They mainly want to stay in the coop. Do you think they will get over this shock of freedom? And act like normal chickens? They are a bit spastic when out in the run.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. tgblldog70

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Really no one has a comment? Some words of wisdom anything???

3. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Chickens take awhile to adjust to new surroundings anyway. Just give them some time and they'll come around. Once they figure out the way out and discover the grass, they'll be busting down the door to get out all the time!

4. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Also, polish tend to be more skittish because the crest prevents them from seeing their surroundings. If you trim the feathers back, they'll look a little funny, but they'll be much more secure. That has completely changed the personality of some large crested chickens.

5. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Seems like whenever I think my chickens won't get their routine down they surprise. They are creatures of habit and seem to learn by repetition. Hope you like the breed. I would love some. They are the coolest.

6. tgblldog70

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks everyone, we did trim them up yesterday and they have come out the coop since this morning. They are just so skittish it's something I am not used to with our other hens.

7. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I have noticed the polish are more hyper and skittish than other breeds. They'll settle down some. Good job on the trim. Good luck with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by