New to posting, have an in town "farm" with 3 chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eugenefarmer, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Eugenefarmer

Eugenefarmer New Egg

Sep 23, 2009
    Eugene, OR
    Good afternoon, everyone! My husband, roommates, and I are discovering the wild, wacky world of chickens. I've never before owned chickens, and am continually surprised by their personalities, intelligence, and strange behaviors. We bought 7 day old chicks of various breeds back in March, and through domestic predators ( i.e. dogs and cats) we only have 3 full grown hens left. Those 3 are now happy, healthy, and between 2 of them, laying 1 small egg a day. Olivia, our Barred Plymouth Rock gained about 3 lbs in 2 weeks and is quite a character. Sunset, the Rhode Island Red seems rather stand offish, but is a good layer. Honey, an Easter Egger is the least friendly of the bunch, and as far as I can tell hasn't layed anything yet, unless she is very good at hiding them.

Besides them, we've got a pleasant handful with 2 dogs, 4 cats, and some fish. Well thanks for giving this a read and hopefully you'all can help me out with my chicken disfunctions.

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    [​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. One of my chickens laid her first egg Saturday. Three eggs in 5 days from her. That was at 24 weeks...the others, including the EE have not laid yet....Give it a little time, it should happen soon. [​IMG]

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Welcome! [​IMG]

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have 3 hens too, and I think it is the perfect size for a small flock.It's easily manageable and when one is in the box, the other two still have company. [​IMG]

8. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

9. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG] from KY.

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude