New to posting, have an in town "farm" with 3 chickens

Eugenefarmer

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Eugene, OR
Good afternoon, everyone! My husband, roommates, and I are discovering the wild, wacky world of chickens. I've never before owned chickens, and am continually surprised by their personalities, intelligence, and strange behaviors. We bought 7 day old chicks of various breeds back in March, and through domestic predators ( i.e. dogs and cats) we only have 3 full grown hens left. Those 3 are now happy, healthy, and between 2 of them, laying 1 small egg a day. Olivia, our Barred Plymouth Rock gained about 3 lbs in 2 weeks and is quite a character. Sunset, the Rhode Island Red seems rather stand offish, but is a good layer. Honey, an Easter Egger is the least friendly of the bunch, and as far as I can tell hasn't layed anything yet, unless she is very good at hiding them.

Besides them, we've got a pleasant handful with 2 dogs, 4 cats, and some fish. Well thanks for giving this a read and hopefully you'all can help me out with my chicken disfunctions.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from WI. One of my chickens laid her first egg Saturday. Three eggs in 5 days from her. That was at 24 weeks...the others, including the EE have not laid yet....Give it a little time, it should happen soon.
smile.png

I have 3 hens too, and I think it is the perfect size for a small flock.It's easily manageable and when one is in the box, the other two still have company.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom