1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New To poultry as pets!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ferry Chick, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ferry Chick

Ferry Chick New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Sneads Ferry, NC
    Good morning all!
    My family and I took the plunge about a week when I purchased 5 Chicks (2 Red Star & 3 Gold Laced Wyandotte) on a whim! Well not totally a "whim".... I have been contemplating, planning and researching for the idea for several years now and when the opportunity, and cute chicks, came along I went for it.
    If anyone has any advice for me please speak up! I welcome any well-wishes, question, comments and prayers!

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Read, read read the learning center articles and the raising baby cickens forum they are both chock full of information.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

The Learning Center is a great place to start. Planning ahead will help prevent a lot of the troubles that people encounter when keeping chickens.

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    You came to the right place. I've met some of the smartest, nicest peeps here. Chickens changed the entire landscape, literally, of the ranch here. I would recommend fencing off any plants you want to keep before the chooks are big enough to free range. Welcome from Colorado by the way [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Definitely check out the Learning Center and also the Coops section if you need ideas for housing. Enjoy your chickens!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Chicken Ferry, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Glad you took the poultry plunge! BYC is a great place to be for info should you need it. You might also connect with other N. Carolina on the link below. Best of luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome from KY. Enjoy your new chickies![​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Ferry Chick

Ferry Chick New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Sneads Ferry, NC
    Thanks everyone for all of the warm welcome's! I am eventually going to become an expert on raising backyard poultry! I have been doing nothing but research and more research for the past two years. But it seems that every time I read a new article or blog post I learn something new! But it's nice knowing these gals are going to keep me on my toes! So far they have been a piece of cake!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your chicks and best of luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by