New to poultry keeping

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PhilBen, Jun 13, 2011.

1. PhilBen

PhilBen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Cornwall,UK
    Hi All I am new to keeping poultry but can say both my wife and I have the bug.
    Started with 3 now have got 9 birds.
    Here are some pics of the run i finished a couple of weeks ago

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hiya! Well now - that appears to be a Chicken Fort Knox of sorts! Only thing missing....you might consider putting in a box of dirt/sand for them to scratch & peck in! Looks VERY secure, and VERY pretty! Lucky chooks!

3. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Looks great to me, I like the idea of the coops inside of the run area. We dont have space for that where we live now but hubby and I have talked about doing that next time. Nice job [​IMG]

4. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    That is an AWESOME coop!

If I may make a suggestion... I would do a "double layer" of fence. I would highly suggest hardware wire (at least on the bottom half of the fence). I've heard of sneaky raccoons/opossums sticking their little hands through there and eating chickens THROUGH the chicken wire. YIKES![​IMG] Plus there is always the issue of snakes. I live in NC... but I don't know if snakes are an issue where you are.

I love how airy it is. Lucky birds [​IMG]

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Looks amazing! I really like the logs in there. Just curious if you have smaller hardware cloth behind the chickenwire. That seems to be pretty big holes if there is nothing behind it. Good rule of thumb is if a head can fit through the hole it will get bitten off. If you do have a more dense material on the inside than disregard my post.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very nice work, well done. [​IMG]

7. PhilBen

Jan 29, 2011
    Cornwall,UK
    Hi thanks for that input. Yes the chicks do put the heads through the holes sometimes, but iam in the UK and don't have some of the preditors you guys have. We also have a rottie called tyson who looks after the garden. He has been pecked on the nose a few times. The far righthand corner has some soil/dust for dust baths. The base of the run is what we call in the UK sharps sand (builders sand) very easy to clean, just go round each day with a poop scoop and run is clean again.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Looks great! Good job.

9. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    great looking coop! let's see some pics of your rottie too! they're the best dogs! [​IMG]

10. PhilBen

Jan 29, 2011
    Cornwall,UK
    ginger c. :

great looking coop! let's see some pics of your rottie too! they're the best dogs! [​IMG]

He is on my byc page​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by