New to poultry raising and loving it!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by K10mitten, Oct 7, 2016.

1. K10mitten

K10mitten Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Michigan
    Hello! I am new to poultry raising as of the spring of '16 and I have been very happy with my flock! I have been talking about wanting chickens for a long time and finally my boyfriend finally told me just go get some already so I did! I got 6 chickens, 2 Leghorns, 2 Rhode Island red, 1 silver and 1 gold laced Wyandotte. We went back to get more chickens and they had khaki campbell ducklings and we couldn't help ourselves so we got 2 of them as well!

We built a 4x6 coop with a 12' run based off of what we found on this website and what was available to us. I like to call it Fort McCluckin' as it has held steady and proven secure for my flock. I also built a chicken tractor out of PVC (experiment, could have done better on it, but it gets the job done) and we just got a landscaping pool upgrade for the ducks (instead of kiddy pool) so they can dive to their hearts desire.

So far so good, I let them out when I can to dive in the pool and graze grass in a fenced in area. We are going into our first winter so I'm hoping to make it through successfully with all my flock healthy and happy. I love coming out and watching them interact and forage, and they help me clean my fridge out when I can't eat veggies fast enough!

I get 2 white eggs a day steady from the Leghorns and one duck egg a day, so I think the other duck may be male as they weren't sexed. All the chickens were sexed accurately and are beautiful hens. I also get 1-3 brown eggs a day, just depends. I didn't get into chickens for the eggs so as long as I get some I am happy. We already have plenty for ourselves and to give away to friends and family. We have thought about adding to the flock next spring, maybe more chickens, but we will see how this first winter goes.

Finally created an account so I can actively participate in the website that I have been stalking for so long for advice!

Glad to be here :)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. For any specific duck advice, I recommend the "Duck thread." The Learning Center is a treasure trove of information and a great way to break into poultry keeping.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    Serving Jesus
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! Your flock sounds lovely! Have a great time on here! Enjoy! [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I have a Leghorn, SLW's, and GLW's as well! I hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do!

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas K10mitten, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! Thank you for joining BYC and enjoy your flock! :)

9. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Hi K10mitten! Sounds like you have an awesome flock! [​IMG]

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by