New to poultry.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countryduncometatown, Jul 17, 2011.

1. countryduncometatown

countryduncometatown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    I am already planning a ranch of my own in the country of northwest Arizona. I am saving my earned money for what I will need. I joined this forum so that I could learn some about poultry. I am wondering which breed of chicks should I raise in a desert like climate. Our record high is 110 degrees in July and our record low is 4 degrees in January. Usually few and far between but I want something good for the dog days of summer and the chills between winter and fall. Any breeds in general that can withstand an average climate would be ideal but maybe a better heat resistance than anything else. Dry heat will take a toll on anything in my country and I want something that can hang in with me. Any experience or similar stories would help my cause and experienced help would be ideal. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
  2. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Here are some heat tolerant breeds and what they can be used for:

Leghorn - Great egg layers, flighty and active. They will free range but may roost in trees.
    Naked Neck - A bit strange looking but a sweet calm bird. A good free ranger or confined chicken.
    Rhode Island Red - A dual purpose breed. Males can get aggressive. Hens lay great but slow down when temps are extreme.
    Sicilian Buttercup - A beautiful breed with a one-of-a-kind comb. Lays about 2 eggs per week. Active and needs space.
    And just about any bantam breed will do great in hot weather.

That is a list of ESPECIALLY heat tolerant breeds. Although just about any breed that is not puffy with loose feathering will do just fine, given the right ventilation when closed up.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us. You are wise to do research before diving in [​IMG]

There are also a lot of suggestions on here on how to keep chickens as cool and comfortable as possible in the worst of it. You are correct that it will be more important to be concerned about the heat than the cold.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Hi and welcome! [​IMG]

I found this google link for you, check it out and see if you can get any info for yourself...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/keeping-chickens/keeping-chickens-in-hot-climates/

I applaud your efforts...good for you! You make me want to send you a few bucks!

If you have any questions AT ALL, please post them...NO questions are stupid or dumb...read all you can, and ask all you want.
    You may find a few people who live right near you who can really help, or may have chicks for you!

Good luck to you and can't wait to see your chick pics one day.

5. countryduncometatown

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks for helping out ya'll! I appreciate ya'lls posts! Friendly flyer I don't believe I would keep a Sicilian Buttercup because I'm going for quality more than looks. They are beautiful birds I hear however a healthy bird is beautiful to me and so long as it is healthy and well kept as well as fair eggs, it is very well qualifying to my standards. If a deal runs buy they do sound like fair birds. I will see how it plays out but those goofy Naked Neck birds seem like great company as well as fine suppliers. I will look into the others as well. JodyJo I couldn't follow that link sadly. [​IMG] However I will keep trying to find information on the subject as well as tricks to survive our Arizona heat. Thanks for the support!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, you've come to the right place. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. countryduncometatown

Jul 15, 2011
    Quote:Reckon I have! [​IMG]

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Going to be 111 here again today and we do run misters out in the run for the hens to cool off in and they do use them, also we have a dishpan or other water dish with allot of surface area will stay cool in the shade for them where the hanging bucket or other enclosed type get very warm. Also be sure the pen and or run has lots of shade for them to get under preferably with a nice dust bath area there as well.

We have 2 flocks and have only lost one older RIR to the heat and she was our first ever to die from heat stroke in many years keeping chickens.

9. countryduncometatown

Jul 15, 2011
    Quote:Great insight! I plan on using misters for sure. Thanks for sharing ya'll.

10. ranchruler@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    alliance,oh
    Russian Orloffs R The Best

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by