New to processing - neck question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Overoberyl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I recently started processing my extra cockerels...I've done about 6 birds over the past week (I don't have help so I just do one or two when I have time). Had one for dinner last night for the first time (Barred Rock) and it was AMAZING!!! I don't think I'll ever buy commercially raised chicken ever again. I am getting more comfortable with the process, and just wanted to say thank you to everyone here that has posted a how-to, or instructions, or anecdotes about their processing experience. Without you all as a resource, I'm not sure I would have even tried. I'm incredibly grateful and proud to join the ranks of the self sufficient [​IMG]

One question re tools...what do you all use to cut off the neck? I've been using a scalpel to sever the jugular and do all the rest of the cutting, but it's definitely not the right tool for removing the head & neck. I noticed with an older bird it's not that easy to just break and tear...I don't have a lot of tools lying around so will probably buy something better suited...what do you all suggest, a larger knife, shears?

Thanks!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think a lot of tools you listed would work - personally, I use a cleaver. One quick chop removes it. A good heavy knife would work just as well.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I peel the skin back until I see a white area of tissue on the back of the neck. Then I cut through the muscle all the way around the neck at that point with the same knife I use to do all the other gutting. Once the muscles are cut, it is easy to twist it off the rest of the way.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I use poultry shears to cut the neck off. That's what I also use to separate the breast from the back.

When I process I don't leave the carcass whole. I cut it into serving pieces. Most of that is done with a sharp knife but if bones are involved I use the poultry shears. That helps keep my knife sharp.

5. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I've never heard of poultry shears, that sounds like a tool that would be good to have, will look @ Tractor Supply...

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. OHIO NATIONAL

OHIO NATIONAL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Garden tools you might already have; anvil pruner, bypass shears, limb loper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by